Southern African News Features SADC Communique
Communique of the SADC Organ Troika Summit
DAR ES SALAAM, UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
1. The Organ Troika Summit met in Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania on 4 September 2012.
2. The meeting was a follow up to the Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government held on 18 August 2012 in Maputo, Mozambique which mandated the SADC Chairperson to engage the Government of the Republic of Rwanda with regards to the political and security situation in the eastern DRC.
3. The Organ Troika Summit was attended by the following Heads of State and Government or their representatives:
Mozambique H.E President Armando Emilio Guebuza
Namibia H.E President Hifikepunye Pohamba
United Republic of Tanzania H.E President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete
South Africa Honourable Nosiviwe Maphisa-Nqakula, Minister of Defence representing H.E. President Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma
4. The Organ Troika Summit was also attended by Dr. Tomaz A. Salomão, Executive Secretary of SADC.
5. The Organ Troika Summit commended the Chairperson of SADC for his swift undertaking of the mission to Kigali as mandated by the 32nd SADC Summit in Maputo in August 2012.
7. The Organ Troika Summit reaffirmed its commitment to the decisions of the Maputo August 2012 Summit on the prevailing security situation in the eastern DRC.
8. The Organ Troika Summit commended the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) on its efforts in finding a lasting solution to the eastern DRC challenges and expressed SADC’s readiness to work together with ICGLR.
9. The Organ Troika Summit reiterated the need for the Executive Secretaries of SADC and ICGLR to work together on this matter.
10. The Organ Troika Summit called on the International Community to support the efforts of the ICGLR and to continue providing the much needed humanitarian assistance to the displaced people in the eastern DRC.
11. The Organ Troika Summit undertook to remain seized with the developments in the eastern DRC and agreed to convene again soon to deliberate on the developments in Madagascar and Zimbabwe.
12. The Organ Troika Summit congratulated the people of Angola for holding peaceful, credible, free and fair elections on 31 August 2012 and also congratulated H.E. Engineer José Eduardo dos Santos and the MPLA Party for winning the elections.
13. The Organ Troika Summit expressed appreciation to the Government and the people of the United Republic of Tanzania for hosting the Summit and for the warm hospitality extended to all the delegates.
September 4, 2012
sardc.net Southern African News Features offers a reliable source of regional information and analysis on the Southern African Development Community, and is provided as a service to the SADC region.
This article may be reproduced with credit to the author and publisher.
SANF is produced by the Southern African Research and Documentation Centre (SARDC), which has monitored regional developments since 1985
Comments and queries regarding the page itself, contact the Web Applications Developer.